Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Mini-Review: Pretty Girl by Amy Heugh


Summary: If there were one day that she could change it would be the day she was taken. 

After her parents’ divorce, seventeen-year-old Izzy Scott and her mother move to the old town of St. Augustine to begin a new life, a life beyond the media attention and the memories of the traumatic experiences that left an everlasting affect on their family. 

The former ballerina is trying to adjust to the outside world without suffering a panic attack and exposing who she is - all while getting through her senior year at a new school. That’s easy to say until she meets local boy Mason Winchester, a boy with a tragic past. 

Mason has a reputation for violence, but a love for motorcycles. At the age of eleven he lost his mother to cancer and from then he has been running from something, but could never really get away. 

Like any other angry teenager, he just wants to be left alone and to have nothing to do with anyone else because he believed that he had nothing to offer. That changes the moment he saw what was in the new girl eyes. 

Tragedy wasn't new to either of their lives but among the secrets and the memories the one thing they both never excepted was to find hope.

***

**I received a copy from the author in exchange for an honest review**

I really like the characters, I really liked the story. There was tons of emotion and well crafted plot and it was really unique I would say. The only thing I didn't like was the writing style. It was very descriptive and I just wasn't into it at all. I'm not really a person who likes in depth description and I just couldn't find myself enjoying it. 

Now I know people who would love the writing in this book. I didn't but that's okay. I still really loved the story and the characters and I am very thankful to have had the opportunity to have read this book. Heugh is very talented and I hope to read more from her in the future. I might even reread this book again because, who knows, maybe my mood played a part into the whole descriptive aspect of the book and I'll want to try again. It's just that I can't make myself skim books if I get bored, even if I'm really bored, and because I didn't skim parts of the book, it just made it feel like it was dragging on and on. Basically, I loved the story but didn't like how it was written. So in the end, this is still a very good book and I hope you think so too. I especially loved the ending. 3.5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment