Monday, November 10, 2014

ARC Review: The Collectors' Society by Heather Lyons


Summary: After years in Wonderland, Alice has returned to England as an adult, desperate to reclaim sanity and control over her life. An enigmatic gentleman with an intriguing job offer too tempting to resist changes her plans for a calm existence, though. Soon, she’s whisked to New York and initiated into the Collectors’ Society, a secret organization whose members confirm that famous stories are anything but straightforward and that what she knows about the world is only a fraction of the truth.

It’s there she discovers villains are afoot—ones who want to shelve the lives of countless beings. Assigned to work with the mysterious and alluring Finn, Alice and the rest of the Collectors’ Society race against a doomsday clock in order to prevent further destruction . . . but will they make it before all their endings are erased?


***

**I received a copy, as part of the blog tour, in exchange for an honest review**

Initial Thoughts: Um wow! I had so much fun with this story. I really love Heather Lyons' books so I was nervous to start like "What if this isn't as great as her other books? Are my expectations too high? Too unreasonable?" Oh what a whole bunch of nonsense on my part - the book was fantastic!

The Characters: Okay, Alice is amazing. She can kick butt, is smart, honest(ish), and just plain awesome! I loved her character so much and was able to relate to her easily. Alice is very well developed and added so much depth to the story.

Finn! People, Finn is the real deal. He too is amazing! Are you starting to see a trend here? (Seriously though I need another word for amazing because I'm starting to annoy myself here). Anyways, he is so sweet and caring and funny and loving and a total hottie who blushes even though he's a grown man. Adorable, right?

"Are you asking if I occasionally find myself besieged by the vapors when I'm in the presence of strong men wielding weapons only masculine hands might possess?" That charming blush I first saw in the early hours of this morning steals across Finn's cheeks once more. He rubs at his hair, his head ducking as he chuckles ruefully. "Vapors...As in fainting? Sh*t, put it that way and my question sounds sexist, doesn't it? I haven't heard that word in forever." 

The Story: I'm not going to spoil anything except that Alice starts off in an insane asylum and then gets recruited to be part of The Collector's Society where storybooks and their characters are real. With that, the plot was very engaging and full of mystery and suspense, romance and tears, and everything in between. The world building and plot were phenomenal and I just loved every second of it.

The Romance: Alice and Finn were made for each other and they are so cute together! They work great together and have a very developed romance and relationship. What else am I supposed to say besides that these two make my heart jump with joy?

End Thoughts: The Collectors' Society is an all around great book that I absolutely adored and couldn't put down. The plot and characters were all well developed and I couldn't have asked for a better book! I highly recommend it!! 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment