Monday, September 1, 2014

ARC Review: Guardian by Courtney Cole


Summary: Sometimes, things that go bump in the night are real.

My name is Whitney Lane. I’m sixteen years old and at first, I thought I was crazy.

I kept seeing shadows move along walls, and hearing whispers around corners, but whenever I looked, there was never anything there.

Until one day, there was.

Our world isn’t what we think. There are things around us, good things, bad things, scary things.

Things that we tell ourselves aren’t real, but they are.

They’re very real, and they’re terrifying.

I’ve been swept up now, in a battle of good and evil, confused about love and what is supposed to be love, but isn’t. I don’t know what to think anymore. I can’t trust my emotions and I don’t know what is true.

There’s only one thing I know for sure.

Nothing is what it seems.

***

**I received a copy for the release day in exchange for an honest review**

Initial Thoughts: I have always loved the paranormal genre and after reading this book I'm only reminded why! This book was so much fun to read and scary and creepy and fun again. I enjoyed it so much.

The Characters & Story: Whitney is a normal sixteen-year-old. Except that she is taking care of her little sister since their mom became unresponsive after their father drowned seven weeks prior. It's hard for their family because they all were so close that no one knows what to do and it's for Whitney to take on so much responsibility. But she's a strong person and her limits and what she could and couldn't do.

Now everything seems to be going as normal as it can be for Whitney considering, but then she starts to have nightmares that seem so real. Weird things happen in her "dreams" - scratching noises, temperature drops, and many other things that don't seem possible. She thinks that she might actually be going crazy but all that changes when nightmares and dreams become reality. Things just get even crazier from there!

Whitney and her relationship with her little sister was really sweet to see. They became really close after the accident with their father and it made them closer and more understanding and loving people. It helped that they were able to be there for each other.

Other characters are Brady, who I didn't like in the beginning. I just didn't trust him or have a good connection to his character and how he was part of the story. Carter I liked because I just wanted to know what part he played in everything and just wanted to know more about him as a character in general.

End Thoughts: Now I'm not going to spoil the rest of the story but I've always loved the paranormal theme of demons and angels, in this case guardian angels, especially if it is well done. Thought it was a bit slow in the beginning it picked up and I thought the book was well done, engaging, had some twists and turns, and it was just so much fun to read this book in the end. 4.5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment