Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Review: Keep You From Harm by Debra Doxer

Summary: Secrets… 

They weigh you down. I’ve kept a secret all my life. It’s my mother’s secret, too. I inherited it from her along with a unique ability that only we possess. She’s gone now, another victim of addiction. If her death isn’t enough to bring me to my knees, her betrayal flays me to the bone. Because the secret my mother and I have been keeping is just one of many she’d kept. She never told me I have an older brother. And now he’s here, eager to be my guardian.

There is no one else. So I move across the country to live with this stranger, my brother. But experience has taught me that most situations are temporary and forming attachments only leads to hurt in the end. That’s why I’m determined to keep to myself in this new place, struggling to seem aloof while I’m quietly breaking apart. 

Then I meet Lucas…

His magnetism is hard to resist, and most girls at school aren’t resisting. I don’t fall so easily though, especially not for guys who use their good looks as a weapon. From the start, our interactions are tense and volatile. I know it’s because I’m denying the unwelcome desire that grips me when he’s near. I think he feels it, too. He looks at me with an intensity that threatens to unhinge my resolve. Soon he’s trying to break through the walls that past hurts have built. 

But I’m not what I appear to be, and it wouldn’t be fair to get involved with him. At least that’s what I tell myself. Until a terrible act of violence reveals that Lucas has a secret, too. It’s a secret that links us together and ties us to an evil history I could never have imagined.

***

Initial Thoughts: Wow, this book was really, really good. The character development and the paranormal aspect all made for a really fun yet intense read.

The Characters: Raielle is a strong, yet quiet (unless needed otherwise) character who is very selfless and loving and always wanting to help other people. It was so easy to connect to her. Lucas is lind of your typical book boyfriend where here comes off as cold or moody but ya know there are reasons and boy did I not see them coming in this book. But besides these moments in the beginning of the book, Lucas was a really sweet guy and I completely adore him.

The Story: Raielle comes home one day to find her mother murdered in their apartment. With her death left many secrets and unsolved questions for Raielle. One of them being she had a brother on the other side of the country. So she moves in with him, his wife, and their daughter because she has no other options. Once she moves there, the mystery really amps up. 

Since Raielle and her mother both had the ability to heal others, she wonders if others know more information like her brother. She knows her father was a healer too but doesn't even know if he's alive. She knows she has this ability but what are her limits. How far can she go? Can she heal anything? Will there be a point where she heals so much that she kills herself? We don't know, they don't know! There's just so much going on that you can't figure out where one lie starts and another truth ends. There are so many questions and mystery surrounding Raielle and Lucas that when it comes to the end that it all ends in disaster.

The Romance: Raielle and Lucas have an immediate connection that only grows and has sparks throughout the book. I love these two together and it really shows in their actions and how they treat each other and work together. Both are very mature even as high schoolers and you can definitely see that. Their relationship and love was developed really well. I love them!

End Thoughts: Oh there was so much action and mystery and intrigue that it was easy to get sucked in to the story. I loved the paranormal aspect and the characters. It truly was a great book and don't even get me started on that cliffhanger of an ending. 4.5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment