Monday, August 18, 2014

Review: Bittersweet Revenge by J.L. Beck

Summary: I’m a slut. Or at least that’s what everyone calls me. I guess that’s what you get when everyone think’s you've slept with the whole football team and then some.


My junior year of high school I gave my heart to Corey Winchester. He was handsome, cocky, and a pure gentlemen. Then everything changed in an instant. When I found out he was spreading malicious rumors about me, after I refused to sleep with him I was utterly surprised. To add to it, he broke up with me in front of the whole school. I essentially became the laughing stock of the town. People that I once called my friends became my enemies. Finding a way to ruin my life one day at a time. Now the shitty part is I should have known a pretty boy like him was too good to be true. After ruining my reputation and life I did everything I could to stay under the radar, but it just wasn't enough. I slowly learned that all the torment, and hate was all for one thing. Revenge. That’s what Corey wanted, and why I didn't know. Then Rex Winchester came along. Corey’s cousin, and someone I knew I shouldn't be getting close with. A whole six feet of hotness, a smile that melted the panties off of every girl in a fifty mile radius, and a heart of gold. He could have anyone he wanted, so why he chose me Corey’s ex, the bullied, slutty girl was beyond me. All I knew was that I wanted him. I wanted him more than anything. The problem was, I couldn't tell if Rex, was just like Corey or if his intentions were as innocent as he was making them out to be. 


My names Jenna Haines, and this is the story of how the one thing I wanted.. turned out to be the one thing that would hurt me the most. What happens when the one thing you least expect to happen, does? When all the lies and secrets come out. Well you're about find out.

***

Initial Thoughts: I had a hard time enjoying this book. Part of it was just not me getting into the story and the other part was the main character Jenna. The book was good with some grammatical error and such but I couldn't connect with Jenna or enjoy the writing. 

The Characters: Jenna felt too immature and too angry and too quick to judge before anyone got a word in. She did deserve to be angry and slow to trust but not every time someone made a mistake because people make mistakes all the time. 

Rex was a great character I really liked him. He was really sweet and I hate how Jenna's anger and lack of listening got in the way of things that happen between them and other parts of the story. She says she has trust issues because of being bullied but I felt that was just an excuse to push everyone away sometimes. 

I didn't really like her best friend Mimi. She didn't feel like a best friend to me. Yes she wasn't afraid to stand up for Jenna but besides that I didn't get any best friend vibe from her and I really wished I had.

The Story: Jenna's been bullied for awhile from her ex-boyfriend, Corey, and other students. On the first day of school there is a new kid and he happens to be Corey's cousin. So of course she immediately hates him but after getting detention with him she is forced to spend time with him. Jenna learns that he is nothing like is cousin but she is still wary or him because apparently everyone is out get her and tell her lies (like I said, trust issues). As the story goes along, things happen and secrets start popping up between everyone. Or so it seems as some of the secrets don't seem to be a big deal to me as they do to Jenna. Again, her impulsiveness made things a bigger deal than they were.

The Romance: It actually started out pretty well between Jenna and Rex and I liked them but then the whole trust issue and thinking everyone was hiding things from her kept getting in the way. Jenna needed someone to help her and Rex was perfect but she wasn't taking any step to reach out to others and become a stronger, better person and that was a huge let down. I really hope the second book will have them develop their relationship better cause I still really want things to work out in the end.

End Thoughts: Anyway, it was a good book but Jenna just didn't do it for me and I'll give the next book a try but the only way Jenna can redeem herself in my eyes is to be more mature and willingly to listen and not get lost in anger. If not for those qualities I really would have loved it. Also I think it would have helped if the book was longer as it's only 112 pages. 2.5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment