Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Weekly Musings: Book Covers

I'm starting to do these new posts which will obviously be called Weekly Musings. They will be any topic that has to do with the book world - book covers, street teams, authors, pet peeves with books - anything! I already have enough topics for three months and I know I'll come up with plenty more. So without further ado...

This week's topic to muse over is... Do people really judge books by their cover?

I have heard, and often though I was guilty of this until recently when I started thinking about it - did I really judge books by their covers?


Everyone's heard the saying "Don't judge books by their cover". I think the only way to judge a book is by thinking that if the cover is bad, then so must the book or vice versa. But does that mean if we have a certain preference for book covers that we are still judging them?


For instance, I'm drawn to books that have really bright, vibrant colors or ones that have something to do with geometry/symmetry. 

Examples of Bright Colored Covers

Examples of Geometric (i.e. cirlces!) Covers

BUT that does not mean that I'm not going to look at or buy a book that does not look like the ones above or don't appeal to me. Just because I have a preference, does that mean I'm still, in a way, judging a book because it's cover doesn't draw me in? I don't think so. 

Take school for example. Everyone loves school. Well, what I mean is everyone has some class they like, some class they hate but are good at, and some class they like but hate doing anything in. There may be other categories but these ones are the relevant ones to my point! For instance, I like Biology, hate math but am good at it, and I like chemistry but absolutely hate having to do anything in that class. My point is, there is nothing wrong with any of those classes per say, just that some people have a preference as to what they like and don't like but it doesn't mean they are judging that subject. You don't have to like history or language arts or math or science but you can like them. If you don't like a class, you don't like it! If you do like a class, then you like it! You're not judging it as good or bad you simply like it or you don't.

Work with me here! 

The school analogy isn't going to work for my next point because if you have the choice to take a class and let's say it's one you don't like, you aren't going to take it. Not true with books. You can like a cover but might not ever read the book or in the end not like it. You can hate a cover but read it and love it. Or you simply love a cover and it's story or hate a cover and it's story.

In the end, you can't judge a book by it's cover. You can have preferences for what you like in book covers but it doesn't mean you are judging the book based on whether or not you find a cover appealing. The only way to "judge" a book is to read it and find out for yourself whether or not you like it. Simply looking at covers won't do. 

So do you judge books by their cover? Do you think having preferences are wrong? Did you understand the school analogy or did I lose you? 

Remember a book is more than its cover, it's what's inside that counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment