Saturday, May 31, 2014

Review: The Elite by Kiera Cass


Summary: Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.

***

**This is book two in this series and you may want to check out my review for The Selection (book one) HERE. Though I warn you, I went back and read my review and thought it wasn't that good...I've improved my reviewing methods. Nevertheless, you get the gist of it and I think that's what matters for now.**

Initial Thoughts: I don't care if you don't want to know this, but after reading it, my best friend and I literally ended up chatting for hours over the books! Hours people! It was a very discussion worthy book and I can't tell whether or not I love it or hate it (in a good way of course) because of the characters!

The Characters: They are still the same as in the first book although I have no idea whether or not they all got more stupid! Okay, I take it back just a little. The characters were fine, they all just made bad choices but I actually understood where most of them were coming from. It's still embarrassing though to yell at your book...

The Story: It starts off where the last one left off with only six girls remaining. The competition definitely became more tense between everyone literally everyone. A lot of people's true colors were revealed, for instance, the King's... Relationships between everyone either got more intense or confusing or down right idiotic!

There is a reason why I stay away from books that have love triangles (this is the only series I have made an exception for) because I really hate them. As I did in this book but see the thing is, I always just knew who was going to be the winner, I was just waiting for America to wake up from her dreamland and realize it too. Which having read the last book already, I see it takes awhile but remember even book characters are human and make mistakes or like to hold onto other people because they don't know if they can or should trust their feelings (this is applying to the characters in this book in case you were wondering).

The Romance: I cannot say enough how much I love America and Maxon together! I mean they are perfect, so perfect I tell you. They aren't without their faults but they are so adorable and perfect I can think about them at any time and find myself smiling! I think their relationship has been developed and portrayed realistically over these first two books!

End Thoughts: This is a great second book to the series and also introduced some things that will definitely be important to the plot of the next book! I think everyone should read this series, no promises on whether or not you'll like but it's worth a shot! 5 stars!!


No comments:

Post a Comment