Monday, May 12, 2014

ARC Review: Life in the Palace by Catherine Green


Summary: Finding her soul mate was enough for Chloe Diaz. She was happy to leave saving the world to her religious study partner. But what if you are the big bad? Chloe learns that, in the Palace, destiny is not enough.

***

**I received a copy, as part of the blog tour, in exchange for an honest review**

Initial Thoughts: I honestly didn't think I was going to love this book - like it, sure - love it, didn't see it coming. I really had no idea what to expect with it because it sounded different, but ya know, sometimes different is good and it really worked well with this book. The author built a really unique world albeit strange but it was refreshing to read a book that was original and very well written as well.

The Characters: Chloe is taking summer classes at college in Canada before she even starts her freshman year. In one of her classes, she has a strange study partner (Tal) who acts weird sometimes. During her classes, she meets Seth who happens to be her soul mate. I really love the whole soul mate thing in books and Chloe and Seth were so lovable and funny, their connection felt real.

"You declared your undying love?" I asked suspiciously. He bit his lip and was uncharacteristically unsure of himself. "I might have," he said slowly. "Very undying or just like until you're thirty?"..."Pretty undying, at least until I'm forty."

Seth was a pretty amazing character. He was sweet, funny, understanding, smart, nice and friendly to everyone. And totally in love with Chloe but she's so sweet and strong it's hard not too. But who am I kidding! I'm in love with Seth too after reading this book! My favorite thing about Seth though, besides his love for Chloe, was how funny he was. Sarcastic characters always make stories better.

"I'm just assisting this young lady in finding a taxi," he (Seth) called back. "I don't think you'll find one next to her tonsils."

The Story: As I said above, Chloe is in college and meets Seth. But this is not a story about only college and falling in love. There is so much more than that and I'll be honest, I was quite confused in the beginning. Chloe's strange friend Tal, is part of...not a religion completely...but a way of life. They are the People who fight in The Palace and it's this really complicated system that gets explained much better in the book. But I was so confused to start off because everyone was saying "the People" or "an Other" or "so and so's a serf" and I was thinking "People! please get your crap together cause you're confusing the heck out of me!" Not to mention, I thought the People were kind of rude in the beginning. They sounded very dismissive of Others (which is everyone who is not part of The People) and that bothered me because they are the good guys and everything.

"There's no reason why not. She's an Other; it's not like she's going to start believing us. It might make it harder for him to hear, but I don't think she's a problem." 

They got better(ish) as the story goes on but it's a very complex plot and I wish I could blurt out how everything connects but alas I can't. What I will say is though that Chloe gets pulled into all the mayhem and Palace stuff going on and so does Seth which I'll literally explain in a moment.

The Romance: Let me make this rule very clear, if you are part of the People, you can only date/marry within the People. I want to call BS on this because if it weren't for this rule, everything would be fine and dandy for my sweet Chloe and Seth. Seth is actually part of the People because he was born into it, but his family didn't really take it seriously unlike Tal and her family and friends do. But the rule still applies to him! There is also more behind it that I can't say so that I don't spoil anything...but Chloe and Seth really are soul mates and completely made for each other and this rule literally messes and throws everything out of place! I was crying at the end because everything seemed hopeless and my heart really broke for them!!

End Thoughts: The book ended with so much energy that I am seriously going to read the next book. I was so hooked to the story! It was unique and amazing and I really want to slap all the People and those stupid Guides at the end - they're not really stupid - they were just withholding key information that would have saved so. much. freaking. heartache! I will not forgive those people! Why is information never told in books? It's frustrating! But back to the point, the story was really well done and surprised me a lot. I enjoyed it immensely and really would recommend this book to everyone! 4.5 stars!!

No comments:

Post a Comment