Sunday, March 2, 2014

Review: White Hot Kiss by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Summary: One kiss could be the last. 

Seventeen-year-old Layla just wants to be normal. But with a kiss that kills anything with a soul, she's anything but normal. Half demon, half gargoyle, Layla has abilities no one else possesses. 

Raised among the Wardens—a race of gargoyles tasked with hunting demons and keeping humanity safe—Layla tries to fit in, but that means hiding her own dark side from those she loves the most. Especially Zayne, the swoon-worthy, incredibly gorgeous and completely off-limits Warden she's crushed on since forever. 

Then she meets Roth—a tattooed, sinfully hot demon who claims to know all her secrets. Layla knows she should stay away, but she's not sure she wants to—especially when that whole no-kissing thing isn't an issue, considering Roth has no soul. 

But when Layla discovers she's the reason for the violent demon uprising, trusting Roth could not only ruin her chances with Zayne…it could brand her a traitor to her family. Worse yet, it could become a one-way ticket to the end of the world.

***

Initial Thoughts: Love. That basically sums it up. I might be a bit biased when I say that this book was awesome cause Jennifer Armentrout is my favorite author, but you'd completely understand if read any of her books! But yes I loved it and might have cried, just a tad at the end, and then had a minor freak out moment, and then preceded to have my best friend laugh at me when I finished the book while she was sitting next to me reading the exact same book but only half-way through it. And then she yelled at me not to spoil anything! <<< Maybe not information you wanted to know but hey! book drama is the best especially when it comes to amazing books!

The Characters: Oh my gosh. It's not even funny how well developed they were. I loved everyone although it's probably very bad that I do because that just means I get attached to everyone... Layla, Roth, and Zayne. All amazing people. Zayne is a Warden, Roth is a demon, and Layla is half of each. Layla (loved her) grew up with the Wardens and Zayne is her best friend and she kinda likes him but what's not to like - he's sweet, funny, and protective. I thought so too but then comes Roth and I was "Just Kidding! You are now my favorite character!". Roth also has this snake tattoo that comes alive and her name is Bambi and absolutely the best! The characterization and development throughout the book was just fantastic for all the characters. 

The Story: Layla is half-warden, half-demon and has the ability to see souls and seal them by kissing and by doing so killing them - not fun stuff. So Layla has always felt like she's never truly belonged anywhere even with Zayne as her only friend that she can be completely honest with and who doesn't think she's an abomination or something. And one day Roth shows up at Layla's school. Since Roth is a demon, the first couple times she meets him, she always tries to get away, but after he saves her a couple times and seems nice (for a demon) and funny - it gets harder and harder to stay away especially when he also has information about her demon side of the family. So they end up spending time together throughout the book while keeping it a secret from the Wardens. Along the way, everyone is trying to also figure out who and why someone wants to do this one thing that would make a huge impact, but I can't say what this problem is otherwise I'd spoil the plot, but this knowledge leads to adding to the story and all it's lovely drama.

The Romance: Layla and Roth's relationship was so well developed. From the start Layla has no interest, but as I said, they spend a lot of time together and get to know each other and then voila, they're in love! Obviously doesn't happen that fast, it really spans throughout the book the development and it couldn't have been better written. 

End Thoughts: Amazing! The book just pulls you in and you live and breathe the book and the characters and the story. It's amazing when authors can do that and it was definitely pulled off here in this book. Like I said I truly enjoyed and loved the book. I'm so excited for the next one already! I definitely recommend this book! 5 stars!!


No comments:

Post a Comment