Monday, February 17, 2014

Review: Mind Games by Kiersten White


Summary: Fia was born with flawless instincts. Her first impulse, her gut feeling, is always exactly right. Her sister, Annie, is blind to the world around her—except when her mind is gripped by strange visions of the future. 

Trapped in a school that uses girls with extraordinary powers as tools for corporate espionage, Annie and Fia are forced to choose over and over between using their abilities in twisted, unthinkable ways…or risking each other’s lives by refusing to obey.

In a stunning departure from her New York Times bestselling Paranormalcy trilogy, Kiersten White delivers a slick, edgy, heartstoppingly intense psychological thriller about two sisters determined to protect each other—no matter the cost.

***

Initial Thoughts: This book was definitely a unique story, even how the chapters were structured was different from any book I've read - alternating POV with one chapter present time, next chapter flashback - but it was purposeful and added to the story and helped a lot with background information. I was also surprised by the characters and how the story turned out in general. It was a very well developed, exciting read!

The Characters: The book alternates between Fia and Annie's POV. I have to say though that I like Fia better than Annie which seems weird because Fia is broken, damaged, and dark but also smart. But Fia wasn't always like this (will explain in Story section). I really, really liked her though and I don't know why. Maybe it was because she was developed so well, but I don't know just that I liked her! Annie is Fia's older sister and she is blind but sees the future. Fia has flawless instincts which so far no one has had before which makes her really coveted. There is also James who is part of this evil company and his dad's the head of it. I still don't know what to make of him. He wants to help bring his father's company down, but there's something about him that still throws me off. And lastly there is Adam. I liked him even though he isn't there a lot in the story but very important!

The Story: Adam is someone Fia meets in the beginning of the book and saves him which just leads to chain reaction of events because she was sent to kill him. And to the point of explaining why Fia is damaged with a dark side is that when she was 12, she and her sister were sent to this school that keeps girls with special powers, and as she got older they would send Fia to do their dirty work - killing, stealing, espionage etc. - and if she didn't they would threaten to kill her sister. So she's done what they want, because she loves her sister. But she's always hated doing wrong. Because of her perfect instincts, doing something wrong makes her feel sick. Fia thinks she's a monster and I couldn't help but like her anyways. 

The story had a lot of action and kept a good pace, as I said, alternating POV but also between past and present. This gave you tons of answers as to how everyone got to where they were, how they met, how they fit into all the secrets etc. It also caused me to be confused with some characters in the sense that it was hard to make out which side some people were on because the characters developed and changed as the story went on - James was one of these people I still don't know what to make of. He seems like a good guy plus he wants to bring his father down, but Fia always felt wrong when she was with him. I don't know if this necessarily meant he was bad or being with him (like having a relationship) was wrong. But I guess that's the beauty of having a next book in a series - you get more answers! 

The Romance: Hmmm, well there isn't really any yet there is. Fia and James like each other, but for different reasons I think. I think James genuinely likes her and Fia likes him in that it feels nice to be around someone who likes her even though they're both monsters in a sense. Their relationship is weird and I don't really know what to make of it because Fia has that sense of wrong with him but around Adam she has a sense of right. I can't wait to read the next book to see how everything plays out - I want answers!

End Thoughts: Great plot, story, and characters. It was unique and really fun to read and I enjoyed it a lot as well! 4.5/5 stars for a great plot and characters and suspense!

No comments:

Post a Comment