Sunday, February 2, 2014

Review: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke


Summary: You stop fearing the devil when you’re holding his hand…

Nothing much exciting rolls through Violet White’s sleepy, seaside town… until River West comes along. River rents the guest house behind Violet’s crumbling estate, and as eerie, grim things start to happen, Violet begins to wonder about the boy living in her backyard. 

Is River just a crooked-smiling liar with pretty eyes and a mysterious past? Or could he be something more?

Violet’s grandmother always warned her about the Devil, but she never said he could be a dark-haired boy who takes naps in the sun, who likes coffee, who kisses you in a cemetery... who makes you want to kiss back. 

Violet’s already so knee-deep in love, she can’t see straight. And that’s just how River likes it.

***

I thought this book was pretty good. I liked the idea, the characters, the action, the suspense, the mystery, pretty much everything but ONE thing. Now the one thing I didn't like is that in the beginning of the book the romance between River and Violet (Vi) felt...lacking. I mean they what kissed once and had a picnic and then all of a sudden Vi is taking a nap with River a day after meeting each other??Plus the fact the Vi knew there was just something, not to sound cliche or anything, dangerous.I mean as I finished it, things made much more sense because *slight spoiler* there might have been some influence *end* but River and Vi really did like each other it was just that in parts of the book it felt lacking...but that was just me and that was the only problem I found with the book!

I really liked all the characters actually in the book. All of them. They all had different personalities but I liked them all. Vi and her twin brother, whose name I don't remember and am too lazy to look up, live in a house at the top of a cliff (Random note: I'd be scared and happy if I lived like that - scared to fall, happy for the beauty that I'd find!). Anyways...Vi's only friend is Sunshine. Unusual name right? Yeah well the whole book is full of weird, and mystery, and plot twists!!Seriously, I could name quite a few that I never saw coming! I really liked that even with all the twists and secrets, everything worked out in the end though. 

So yeah, all-in-all I really liked and enjoyed this book, and I'd totally read it again! Now I'm super excited for the next book and since I finally read this book, the title for the second one makes so much sense. When I went back to look at the cover after finishing this one, I was like "OHHHHHHH THAT MAKES SENSE AND IS GENIUS!!!!" Also, I do recommend this book and I mentioned I'm excited for the next book, right?? 4.5/5 stars!!

No comments:

Post a Comment