Wednesday, February 12, 2014

ARC Review: The Minaldi Legacy by Courtney Cole


Summary: “I’m a monster, Eva. There’s no saving a monster. But I love that you want to try.”

Luca Minaldi is rich, powerful and mesmerizing. He’s also a reclusive enigma. He lives in Malta, a fairy-tale place filled with sunshine and sea, beauty and secrets. And Luca’s darkest of secrets is the best-kept of them all. 

Eva Talbot moves to Malta to finish her doctoral dissertation in Psychiatry. When she meets Luca, there is a very real and instant attraction that she has never felt before. But even still, she senses the darkness that lives within him. 

Eva is hired to care for Luca’s mother, a woman who suffers from dementia. It is Luca, however, that Eva will eventually risk everything to save… as the legacy that plagues him continues. 

As the darkness swirls ever more tightly around her, Eva realizes that no matter how hard she tries, she might not be able to save Luca without losing herself. 

Eva and Luca are thrust into a world where their love is tested and darkness reigns. Amid chaos and treachery, love and hate, Luca and Eva learn one important thing. 

Love is dangerous. 

But it also might be the one thing that can save them all.

***

Now I want to point out that is book is split into two parts...Part I and Part II but each could be their own book but they both do need to go together!! 

Initial Thoughts: Wow! What a story. The book was really fascinating and kept me pulled in with all the secrets and mystery and wanting to find out everything and to see if there would be a happy ending (I really like those). Both parts were written very well. I was a little hesitant at first to read because the characters were older than what I usually read (29 and 32) but in the end that didn't matter - the story was great.

The Characters: Now for a quick rundown, Eva and Luca are obviously the main characters. Eva came to Malta so she could write her dissertation and become a psychiatrist. Luca has always lived in Malta and has a very dark secret about his family. There are other characters like Adrian who is Luca's friend and has grown up with him his whole life. Marianna, this sweet lady, who has this lovely restaurant with food that sounds, was a favorite character of mine!

The Story: As I said, Eva comes to Malta and since she's really good at ready people, she knows that there is something about Luca when she meets him. Then she comes across him quite a lot which is really unusual for Luca because he doesn't come out of his house too much. The more Eva meets Luca the more she wants to find out. Plus while all this is going on, dead girls are showing up. Oh, forgot to mention, this book is more dark thriller and mystery than paranormal. It took the whole first part to find that out because everything was woven so well you really didn't know what was truly happening with Luca! Eventually Luca tells Eva about what he thinks is a "curse" his family has had for generations, and Eva tries the solve it thinking it's not really a curse. 

At the end of Part I, they solved the problem...well they think they did which is how it ends. When I had finished Part I, I immediately started the next part because I had to know what happened next! I think I have to say that Part II was my favorite though. Both parts were great but this part was, as I said, my favorite. I liked it because now that I understood more about what was happening, the thriller part really kicked in. The were even more secrets and lies and deception going on that at the end I was about to throw my phone because I seriously did not see the end coming at all! It was really well crafted the plot!

The Romance: Obviously it's between Eva and Luca. In the start of the book, there's some attraction and connection between the two and it only grows from there. It's hard for Luca though because he thinks he's a monster and he doesn't want to get close to anyone, especially Eva because he doesn't want to hurt her. Eventually they get past that. Plus I just think that Eva and Luca are great together and especially for each other! Now for the ending and epilogue - I loved them! I really did, I love how the book ended and then the epilogue came and that was wonderful. It really tied everything in and brought the story to a wonderful close.

End Thoughts: This book was really well done. I'm so glad to have had the opportunity to have read it. If you like thrillers and mystery this is a great read, though I think anyone could read it if they wanted too! 4.5/5 stars for The Minaldi Legacy!

No comments:

Post a Comment